Sunday, June 17, 2012

Injury update - 8 months later

I am not the most faithful and consistent blog poster, luckily not many people read or rely on this information, so no pressure right? I thought I would provide an update on the injury recovery. 8 months post scapula obliterating accident (okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration), I walk out of the doctors office with the PA, Kristen Nygard, hollering down the hallway, "She is healed!". These were the greatest words I had heard in more then 8 months. It took a long time, but I am very grateful it did not require surgery, pins or intensive drugs.

I am now in strengthening mode. I have been doing my PT assigned exercises and started riding just a bit on the road. WOW! That felt good. There is nothing like pedaling, especially after being void of it for so long. I was on the road for 2-3 weeks riding 3-4 times a week with a few 30+ miles rides. I had more strength and fitness then I expected, but still no where near where I was prior to injury or where I want to be. After a visit to the PT I decided it was time to be on the mountain bike again. He said I was pretty strong and my bone was all healed so some mtn riding would be okay.

I have included a picture of the lovely beast that I now call mine, this bike has helped me stay up and gave me something to look forward to. She did not let me down. What an amazing ride. whew!! Fast, snappy, smooth, all I could ask for. Not to mention totally hot! First trail was St. Edwards then Paradise, St. Eds a few more times. It has now seen Duthie, Grand Ridge, Tiger, Tokul East (KGB and something new without a name). Every time I take it out someone says, that is a beautiful bike or nice ride or something. All I can do is grin and giggle inside. I have pushed it a bit hard, I have a few small bruises, but I am getting stronger. Yah!

Notice the pink bars and grips!!

No comments: